Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lord of the flies - william golding?

It's been awhile since I've read the book so I can't help with your first question but, if I remember correctly, Simon doesn't exactly go anywhere. Hear me out. Simon is the only morally good character. The other boys abandon the appearance of morality when they get to the island because adults and social conditioning are no longer there to force them to behave properly. Simon is truly moral because his moments of morality do not stem from social conditioning but from the belief that morality is valuable. He is also the first to realize that the "beast" they see on the island is not real but a symbol of the immorality that lurks in humans. Whether or not he is the first to see the beast I can't remember but he is the first to see it for what it truly is. His moral nature sets Simon apart from the others and they eventually murder him. So I guess you could say that Simon does "go" somewhere as in spiritually off the island but it's not like he just walked away and found some good hiding place.

No comments:

Post a Comment